Sunday, November 4, 2007

TED PETERS FAMOUS SMOKE FISH

http://tampabay.citysearch.com/profile/2693868/south_pasadena_fl/ted_peters_famous_smoked_fish.

This is a family owned restaurant that has been in the same spot for over 50 years (since 1951)
It sits on the main strip of Pasadena Avenue as you are entering the St Pete beach area - and it is a very busy and noisy street

I caught a review on the Food Network, and since knowing I would be in the area, I wanted to do my own to see how honest they are

It is totally al fresco dinning with picnic tables - and if you stay for lunch, the hardwood seats are not suited for anyone with back problems

The smokehouse is a seperate building and you are welcome to go see the process and to buy the fish directly from there
The restaurant puts together the dinners - with all the "fixins"
I ordered a pint of their famous fish dip - which after trying it at home reminds me of grilled tuna salad at high end prices

Next on my list was to get 2 dinners, so I decided on the smoked salmon and the mahi-mahi

The smell drove me crazy in the car on the drive back and I was hoping it was going to be worth my little adventure

The table was set at home and we dove in
The dip was a hit as was the salmon
The mahi was a little too heavy on the smoke
The cole slaw had a hint of pineapple juice mixed in and was very tasty, but the potato salad was excellent - made in the German style with lots of bacon
There was enough food there to feed six people - you get a pound slab of each fish

Overall, I would say if you are in the area stop by but don't go out of your way
The 2 dinners and pint of dip cost $45 and it is cash only - and be prepared to have your hands and clothes smell of smoke for the rest of the day

Ted Peters Famous Smoke Fish
1350 Pasadena Avenue
Pasadena, FL
In St Pete

No comments: